Tuesday, 15 April 2014

HOW MUCH MORE BLOOD?




So it was just a couple of minutes past 5pm on a Sunday Evening, and my Mum and I were at a salon. I mean I was 11 then and a real definition of a “follow follow child”. It was then we heard the erupting Bomb sounds. We immediately jumped into my Mama’s old Red Corolla and rushed home, with the Earth quaking beneath us as she sped off. WE WERE SCARED AS HELL. At home, my Dad and all our siblings were worried, the skies turned Black with smoke. My Funny Beautiful neighbor was asking for forgiveness of sins, as she thought the world was coming to an end. hehehe I mean she was 10. We ran up stairs, with the walls shaking as we proceeded, and the calendars, Baby pictures and Wall clocks had fallen off the walls of the sitting room where we all gathered. What was happening? We asked one another. Had the Armageddon began? Was a Civil war commencing? We immediately shut all the doors, and prayed for the best, while hoping for the worst. My Local Dog called Doggy then Varnished (funny how Animals are never involved in mishaps, they always seem to know when Bad stuff is going to happen shey?). There was no NEPA as usual, so we were in the dark both physically and in our minds. My DAD had not gotten the hold of the new Nokia 3310, so we couldn’t reach our loved ones in other parts of Lagos. It was in plain words SCARY. We waited, prayed, and hoped, and after a while, it all quieted down. The Quakes stopped, the troubles varnished. We turned on the Radio, and there it was on all the stations: Bombs stored at Ikeja Cantonment had self detonated". There was no war, There was no Armageddon, There was no Boko Haram. Yes, Today was the 22nd of January 2002.

Fast forward to today the 14th of April 2014, I woke up by 4:30 am, did my push ups and was excited as i finally crossed the 50 at once threshold, hurried to meet my ride and get to the battle field of daily survival, chatted a bit, slept a lot :). Yes! I was all grown up, not a 11 year old "follow follow Boy" again, but a 22 year old Man.  And then just as we were about getting ready to manage the B.S called Monday, it Happened!  the news came through that Boko Haram had struck at Nyanya park Abuja, killing at least 70 persons wonder who counted, sure its more, and left Hundreds wounded. What? Why? No one knew. Our Monday in Nigeria became black effective immediate.

So Tonight I ask myself, how much longer are we going to sit and stay in this Rut like Toinlicious thought me not to do in her comment, how much longer are we going to live in Fear in our own homes? how much longer are we going to hear news of Deaths on our TV screens? how much Blood will have to be shed? The people who died today were not Politicians; NO! They were not Military men, nor activist nor snitches, No! They were Nigerian citizens who had already accepted this pity of a country we live in, where Gold plated IPhones are given as Souvenirs, where a man eats 600k or more per day in his Feeding budget, where there are no Jobs, and were we all have decided to keep keeping on no matter what. They were Traders, Drivers, Civil servants, Teachers, Restaurant sellers, students, hawkers et al. We had just about swallowed the killing and Raping of innocent school Children in the North some weeks back, and then we are hit by the same Boomerang of a sect on this morning. Yes! Today is the 14th of April 2014, and the Bomb which we were so scared about just 11 years 9 months ago, has become a way of life for us, just like Bangger at Christmas :(. I weep. 

Dear Federal Government of Nigeria, Every night I go to bed in grief, tired, frustrated, and angry, but hopeful. But Tonight I go to bed in regret of being a Citizen of Nigeria. I know my voice won't change a thing, but at least my Silence for all these years hasn't either. Who are these Boko Haram guys: They are you and me, they are our neighbors, our colleagues relations, they are Nigerian Sponsored Nigerians. I read on Atoke’s Monday Morning Banter on Bella Naija about how we need to report any suspicious acts, and be snitches for a Cause. I agree a lot. Lets snitch to save our lives, lets snitch to prevent the next Bomb Massacre. If you know somebody that knows somebody, that knows somebody that makes Bombs, SNITCH!!! and let this Nonsense stop. if you cant report to the police, Fine! Go to the DSS! EFCC! ICPC! or ARMY! Just do something, please.
Please stay Young and Confused, please snitch.

Nigeria My country, the Giant of Africa, Where is your Glory?

Thank you for the last 7 minutes of your time, and please say a Prayer for Nigeria. MAY THE SOULS OF ALL THE FAITHFUL DEPARTED, THROUGH THE MERCY OF GOD REST IN  PERFECT PEACE; MAY THEIR SOULS REST IN THE PERFECT PEACE OF GOD, IN JESUS NAME. AMEN

@Bim:)


#Udo

4 comments:

  1. Very sad, i tell you. Very sad, our problems in Nigeria...And how it all seems to be getting none the better with every news report.
    #Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mehn Boss T.N, its really mad now oh! as people live in perpetual fear down here. All and every Infrastructure doesn't work, and it seems sadly that NEPA has even taken light at the end of the Tunnel :( . My 2 percent of Hope in a better Nigeria is dwindling day by day.

      Thank you for stopping by Sir, it usually brings me joy to see a comment from you, as you constantly inspire me to write more. Cheers

      Delete
  2. These are complete words that mean a lot, it's really sad that this nation has become a place of just too many blood lost, tears and hopelessly and no one seems capable to fight and bring all these to an end.

    May God safe us...
    From selfish leaders,
    Book haram
    Kidnappers
    Ritualist
    and many more I can't count.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen to all your Prayers Temi, I too hope that one day there will be an End to all this pain, and Fear.

      Delete