Monday, 30 June 2014

WHAT IS YOUR WHY?




Good morning great young mind, how was the weekend? Hope you guys had madt fun oh! I can't believe its Monday all of a sudden, NAWA OH!!!! I heard it was the Greeks who invented the calendar calculations and made it 7 days(I heard oh). My question is why didn’t they kuku make the weekends longer? Asin man works for 3 days and rest for 4 days.. Haba? Na so them like work Reach? It is well oh :(.

So my weekend was just there oh! I had my normal ROBOT lifestyle routine and I so cannot wait for my sister to come back home jo. Contemplating on going on a kinda Warning strike, so my father will start paying me House chores allowance, I mean since this Job thingy, he gives me little or no cash :( #JourneytoIndependence Haba! Khaki no be leather nah, Junior sef suppose rest or Chop money small nah. **Wears sad face. Heheh Okay Did I tell you guys my sister has graduated from Med School? I thank GOD oh! That geh can be my mother figure all time, every time.…  And yeah mehn she is coming home pretty soon so that’s my consolation.. I dey really do count down. :p

So in the light of seeking what to share with you awesome friends this week, I listened to a particular Motivational video by Eric Thomas(E.T) over the weekend and It centered on your WHY? I was kinda laid back about it initially, but then when the message touched my inner of hearts, I decided to share it with you guys cause I am a believer in: “if it don’t Touch you, then it aint worth sharing”.


Traveling down memory lane a Bit…. I resumed University on the 17th of February 2008, and as against being ecstatic like other students, I was a bit indifferent about it. I remember my Trip to the campus on the 16th had me in a looonng  chat with the student sitted next to me on the the bus about not knowing what to expect as I got into the University, and about the fear of the unknown. You see I never wanted to attend that University, rather I wanted to attend the Nigerian IVY league Universities that most of my Ex class mates were going to, you know the really cool schools. I was even at a time being prepared to go over many rivers, oceans and mountains to study in an Onyibo mans land, but BAM! One crazy man carried his 2 left legs and came to my house and advised my Parents that Junior first be trained here, that he first Understand Tradition. And I am like who sent this Yeye man to come and Pour sand-sand inside my garri nah? If i was Older yeah, I sure would have challenged him oh, but oh well, what could I do? I was 15. So that was how I was laced up, bagged up, and on a waybilled on a 9 Hour Journey to Eastern Nigeria to learn how the IGBO people live, how they cheated one another, poured out aggressiveness on one another, and how they hated one another. Have I told you that under  my first 3 months, I was almost kidnapped, I had to run for my innocent small life(Gist for another day.. I was so small, I could have been put into a sack, and would have passed easily for Tubers of yam :)) Dear Reader, if you live in the east for a while ehnnn, you will be so frustrated most of the times as to how they complicate the simplest of issues. Dang it was hard.

Upon arrival, clearing et al, attending lectures was worse. On My first lecture day,  I remember just standing at the center of the crowded hall, perplexed. You see I had to have a Physics lecture with  well over 1200 students, sitting and listening to 1 man who murmured to himself, without any sort of Public address system, it was hard, and It was tough. My first 2 years were horrible, and had it not been for my elder cousin with whom I stayed, aswear I would have run mad. I guess that was the beginning of the Young and Confused dream lol..

Back then, my hostel folks always called me a nerd, a geek, an ACADA! I spent at least 7 Hours daily while in the lodge looking into books which sometimes I didn’t understand JACK of what the author was saying, and had to read over and over again to get it in. Most times, cramming was the key, we often times crammed Calculations well over 3 pages long and when asked to give Technical relevance and application of those calculations, For where? We had no idea jari! No road, cause all we had done was crammed but not understood. Little did everyone know that i was little of a nerd, but only worked so hard cause of my WHY's!

What was my WHY? My WHY was my Dad. My Dad had sent all my elder siblings to the kinda ivy league colleges,  that he couldn’t afford to send me there too, cause if he did yeah,  it was sure he would go bankrupt. My WHY was the fact that I HATED it there at the my University, that I promised myself that I did not want to spend an Extra day after graduation. I hated the excessive Freedom, the lackadaisical attitudes, the lack of drive , the crowded first year lectures, the Cultism, the Fear of being obtained.. it was all just too sudden. May I add that I was 15 when I went there, so I was a definition of a FEAR FEAR,  But my WHY just had me going: “Junior do this for Daddy” “Do this to get ouutta here”. I knew my Dad was in pain sending all 3 of us to the University at a time, so I promised myself I would come out and make him not suffer again, come out and buy him all the wonderful things of life he deprived himself of to send  me to Uni, come out and make him proud. But my second why drove me even more like the accelerator of a car. It had me saying “Lets do this and get out”, “ Lets do this and go make the cash”

You see Life is teaching me that LIFE in itself is Bloody hard, there is so much pain and confusion everywhere, students struggle through school, lovers struggle through relationships, people go to jobs that they do not love, Mothers abandon their kids out of fear and inability to go on with the family, But I am learning that until a man decides the WHY for which he started something, he would quit at the nearest opportunity. Steve Jobs(R.I.P)  said that If a man does not find what he loves and does it, he is reasonable when he decides to quit. The WHY in that case is his love. So today, I ask you: WHY do you Blog? WHY did you decide to apply for that job? WHY did you decide to get married? WHY did you decide to get into that relationship? WHY did you decide to get into University? WHY did you decide to start that gym session? Cause the truth is life is teaching me that: until you find that WHY, and stick to it no matter what, it is sure we are going to quit at the nearest opportunity we have, and Quitting will always be our best of allies. 

So as we live June behind, I implore you to let your WHY keep you going through the pain, through the heart breaks, through the disappointments, through the insults you receive from those you least expected, through the failures you encounter through university, through the women in your life abandoning you for no just reason, I implore you that your WHY keeps you going.


Let me live you with the words my Cousin and guardian Pius Duru said to me during one of my complaining sprees at Uni  years back.

“No matter how glorious a place is, or how rotten it may seem, its only Temporal, it is only a passing phase” ( Paraphrased, as he said it while we were seeing a movie :) I wasn’t paying full attention).


Thank you so much for the last 7 minutes of your time, you do us a great Honor with your reads. My prayer for you this week is that you shall never be abandoned the way people are abandoning the Blackberry devices ( I mean I feel sad for those guys :( ) 




P.S: Remember I told you my sister was coming home? Well yeeaaah mehn she is. I thank GOD, she was awarded as 1 of the top graduating student of class of 2014 at her Med school. So here and now, I can only ask myself that when GOD was sharing this Brain for others, where was I??? hmmmn Maybe I was pursuing woman In heaven sha ;)

Testimony time: I finally attained 20 comments on one post, and I am like Yeah meeeeehnnnnn Shout out to the beautiful ladies in my life, especially my Blog Mother Ms Janyl Benyl :) you guys rock jo.. I would have called more names yeah, but una know una self nah. **Winks. 

P.P.S: Permit me to say hearty congratulations to my Friend and Commenter, plus editor of one of my favorite Blogs: Changing Post Codes. She just got admitted into the Nigerian Law School Abuja, so she is coming home **Skelewuing I hope I get to meet her in person oh, she is such a fab blogger. 

P.P.P.S: Did you guys see the Brazil Vs Chile match, and the Netherland vs Mexico one? nna ehn those Big teams were Lucky oh! heheh But had both crashed out yeah, the WC would have become reeaaalllyy Boring. @ Howard webb, you can cause Controversy shaaa.. @ Temi do not be afraid, I won't talk of soccer today **Winks Good luck Super Eagles against France. Hmmnn I Fear for the worst, but hope for the best.


 Goodnight June, Good morning July(In Advance) Bigger things a gwan by GOD'S grace..


Cheers 


#Udo

24 comments:

  1. I hear you loud and clear. Congratulations to your sister. Another one for your blog editor.

    Have a great week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yipppeeee Toinlicious, Thank you so much for stopping by. You know ehn Toin, I want to be able to write as wonderfully as you do when I grow up, so seeing your comments ALWAYS brings me so much unexplainable joy.. **Wears cutest face. :) :) :)

      Thanks for your good wishes Bubba, they both will hear. You need to see the smile on my face as I type this Reply, you can make me happy for Africa shaaaa... :)

      Delete
  2. Yay!..I wanna tell you something Duru, I love coming here, It's like another world - Real Life - Real Deals....I love this post and I can relate to it...when I was barely 13 when I got shipped to another country...I was Young and Confused...anyway...I know the WHY as regards to that situation and it gave birth to another WHY which was WHY DO I NEED TO SURVIVE - as you said...you need a WHY to move on..... well, I found another WHY May 25th and the answer was overwhelming and so here I am.... I love this post...Thanks for putting this up....**you are so lucky you dropped a post today....**tucks in my pepper spray**....hehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah! Tibs, you have melted my Ice Block heart with this wonderful comment **Wears cutest face. You are such a Wonderful Human being Tibs, and you always make me Wear my Mr. Nigeria Smile (As the Mr. Nigeria Muscle no dey nah, the smile suppose serve :) :) )

      Truly Ernie, (25th is as per your Blog yeah?) I am thrilled to have you as a contact on here, and I am humbled as to how you are using your Why to make a whole lot of people happy on a Daily basis. I am Happy for your WHY Bubba.

      I wish you only knew how much of a motivation you are, you make me believe that I can get better, write better, and be better, and all I can say in return at this moment is Thank you. I am very very very (X7) Grateful for your support, I mean you are turning my Blog around in a great way.

      I Thank GOD you can relate to this post, truth be told yeah, Life is teaching me that: it is our WHY'S that keep us keeping on, even when all hope seems lost...... You know the Mind over Matter thing......

      I know I say this a lot, but I ain't lying. Seeing your comments ALWAYS brings me Plenty happiness. Some times, I smile like a Brother who just got a Bank alert when I read them :) :) :). Thank you so much for being here Bubba, you are a Great writer, blogger and a great Human being (yep I am sure of that)

      Ehen!That reminds me oh, I saw you on LinkedIn! :) hmmmnnn I am Gonna search you up on Instagram ASAP, so watch ya back. lmao. Thanks once again Bubba. Cheers. HNM

      Delete
    2. Awww...this is so sweet....mehn I learned a long time, that 24hrs of the day can teach you 24 x 24 things...crazy right?....You need to keep writing...NEVER STOP TYPING......you don't know who you could be talking to "directly"...sometimes your post has selective audience...so you never know......**I will be checking ltr***...take care papi..

      Delete
  3. I can totally relate. I went to university at 18 to do predegree at that because my mum couldn't take the fact that I settled for food science and technology as against medicine and am like heck your first son is a barrister, lemme alone now so on and on we went, I said I wasn't doing jamb, etc when she finally agreed I was already eighteen and I found myself in abeokuta after wasting two post secondary school years.
    When I got to 200l I saw strength of material, fluid mechanics and I felt like changing but my mum was my why!, she always told me this food tech you know am not in support, by final year I saw laplace, nna till tomorrow I don't know how I passed but I was like Kai am way behind, graduating at 23,another why. Well, now, my why is that desire to always impact someone wherever I find myself! *rubs eyes* sweetheart kindly disable that code, most times it's on the fifth attempt I get it*puppy eyes*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeeeesss Bossss... Amaka is back in the building. Yeah I guess Often times, its best to just stand our ground, and study what we want, and I am so glad your WHY'S kept you going regardless the seemingly tough times. :) Hey you did Strength of materials? My I loved that course, it was one of my best in 200L. As per Laplace and ODE, hehehehehehh I loved those tooo. But bubba you see fluid mechanics? Shingbain I didnt understand in that subject, i still dont know how i didnt Fail it oh..... that course was a miracle course ohhhhh. Hehhhehh.

    Thank you so much Amaka, I am glad that you can relate to this post, and I thank GOD you are well now.

    P.S: What code? **scratches head. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nna I hate ODE with passion... I kinda love fluid mechanics maybe because I love rheology Sha.
      If we want to post comments a code thing comes up. Kapish?

      Delete
  5. You Hated ODE! hhahah ODE was awesome to us oh. About the Code Thingy, for real??? Damn!!! I will try take it off ASAP Bubba. Thanks for the heads up.. xx And yeah, welcome Back. You are not permitted to fall ill again oh!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice one. Mr. Duru. Keep it up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Mr. CEO, I am humbled that you took out your time to read this article sir... You do us a great honor. Hope you visit us more oh! :)

      Delete
  7. **knocks on door***....Anyone here??....Hows you papi?...:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. **smiles... just saw this Bubba. :) I am home oh, just trying to try down here. ;).. You never fail to make me smile Tibs, you never fail at allllll... :)

      Delete
  8. Hmmm Papa!!! weldone. How are you + this is a really great write up.

    True about the 'Why'. Sometimes if you don't reflect at 'why' you do this and that and all you may not have the courage and endurance to press on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Temi, our why is truly the foundation of all that we do, and you know what they say ""If the foundation is Bad, the house MUST collapse"" :(

      Thank you so much for your kind words Bubba, you just gave me 1 more reason to keep writing :). I am grateful to GOD that you can relate to this post Baby mi.

      Ehen, I am fine oh, still searching for my Exclusive geh friend, and using your prince charming tactics. :) Hopefully, I should be duly hooked in no time. :) **winks

      Delete
    2. Hahhaha I just love your ways. You are so funny. OK your exclusive girl friend is somewhere waiting for you (her prince charming) so when you find her am sure you are gonna introduce her to us. Hehhehehe

      How you dey jare.?

      Delete
    3. Thank GOD I made you smile :)... Yes ke, you sure will meet her when she comes. **winks... I dey oh.. Just trying to overcome the shock called Monday.

      Delete
  9. So we'll have to wait three more days ehn? I've run out of patience oh!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehehheheheheh Amaka, you ehn... heheheheh you are making me smile like a fish down here. Lol. But you see, I finally proved you wrong didn't I? I finally put up 2 posts in a week, I tried nah Baby mi. **wears my mischievous smile.

      P.S: Please oh, I use MTN take beg you, dont run out of patience Bubba... **winks... If you leave me, I go die ohhhhh!!! So Baby dont go oooo **in Terry G's voice.

      Delete
  10. Thanks for visiting my blog. I will surely be stopping here often.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woow! Thanks for stopping by. Bubba, you have a pretty neat Blog, and I sure will visit there as frequently as I can. I love the way you write Sykik, its fun to read from start to finish. :)

      Thanks for visiting the YnC blog, hope you will stay oh, I don't want no run away lover... **winks...

      Delete
  11. Your posts are easy to read... before I know it, m at the end and I'm like 'oh! Y did it have to finish'.

    Why's re important motivating factor. My why's are why I'm still in school and why I always find a reason to blog and develop myself.
    #funny how I have been pondering on this subject for days now... 9ce one!

    Btw, I was typing this and NEPA took the light... dunno if I should be mad or mad.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm sorry I just couldn't help coming back here to testify. ....
    ...that was how I hit publish on the prev comment and NEPA brought the light. I'm so not going to get mad again.. lol

    ReplyDelete