Hi guys, how has the week been thus far?! Aight, so lets jump straight in shall we?! Have you noticed that people especially the younger generation no longer take interests in reading books? I remember while growing up, I used to have a target of the amount of books I must read in a week, whether motivational books oh! Novels oh! School textbooks oh! Gbo gbo ti gbo? I enjoyed reading so much and people around me took notice of this and asked why I was always with a book everywhere I went. But recently, I have noticed that reading is becoming a very big problem. I know of someone who wrote her WAEC exams recently, and to say the least yeah, I was shocked as I couldn’t believe she was writing any exams because to wake up to read for her exams was a very big problem. After the Exams were over, I inquisitively asked her how she found them, Difficult or hard?! And as I expected, she confessed to me that she was blank through out most of the papers. You can imagine how perplexed I was because during my own days, reading was something I did every blessed day. I mean not a day went without me reading at least a topic in my school books and of course I was never blank during those exams, I always had something to write no matter how small or how wrong :).
Now what are the importances of reading?
1. vocalbulary<------ good reader---------> academic success
This illustrates that the more you read, not only does your vocabulary increase, also you have an increased academic success because as a voracious reader, you cannot be blank on any topic that is being discussed. When your vocabulary is increased, you have the ability to interact on any platform without being at a loss of words. I mean even Blogging helps increase I.Q, as we get to interact with a lot of people daily.
2.Reading provides access to cultural heritage and brings people together.
3. Reading builds your thought processes. The more you read, the more thoughtful you become, because your mind keeps regurgitating what you have read.
4. Reading is a means of communication between you the reader and the writer of the book or Article.
5.Reading broadens your scope and shapes your view about life.
6. It makes you to be a constructive contributor to the society. Trust me.. In this new millennium, its less about Who is more brilliant, but about who knows more.. Think about it.
Constraints on Reading; I just had to add this cause hey! There is temptation in every area of life.. reading inclusive.. So here goes;
1. Lack of libraries
2. Distraction from tv, social media, etc
3. Lack of interest
To be able to achieve more, I am learning that we have to strive to build and improve on our reading habits, and this could be achieved by;
1. Read a book. Not a book on your phone or on your laptop, while technology has made it possible to read on these devices, it is advisable to read from a book to reduce the rate of distraction.
2. Reduce the rate at which you get engrossed with television programs and the likes.
3. Ensure you have a target of how many books to read per time.
4. Start small, you would eventually be able to read hundred-paged books.
Recently in my search for a new book to read, I found that the titanic that sunk in the early 1900s had been sort of predicted by a novel, titled, Futility (wreck of a titan) by Morgan Robertson. Morgan Robertson had written this book in the 1800s and the titanic sank in the 1900s. You can’t imagine my excitement. That is what I am reading now. Other books I recommend are Chinua Achebe’s THERE WAS A COUNTRY, and Chimamanda’s PURPLE HIBISCUS.
Do have a great week and read a book today!!! And don’t forget to check out my website THE CONNECT www.theblessingiyama.com